My Many Interests

One of the blessings of ADD is that I seem to have so many interests, and those interests are constantly changing. I am rarely bored, and can always find activities to keep me occupied (aside from my daily responsibilities). If I could have a superpower, it would be that I would never need sleep. There are too many interesting things in the world to discover and learn. So here is my blog about all those little things that seem to randomly cross my mind.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Jack London's Mentor: Joseph Smith, Jr's Niece

I was at a DUP (Daughter's of the Utah Pioneers) luncheon with my mom last year and they were reading about pioneers in California.  One of the stories they told (and you can find it in one of the books on their website) was about Ina Coolbrith, who was born Josephine Donna Smith. She was the daughter of Don Carlos Smith, the brother of Joseph Smith, Jr.  After the death of her father, and because of severe persecution, her mother made her promise never to 
reveal her true identity.  It wasn't until later years, after her death, that one of her Smith cousins (I can't remember which one) revealed her true identity.  

Ina Coolbrith was the librarian who inspired Jack London and also poet George Sterling.  If you can get your hands on the book sold by the DUP, it is a very interesting saga.  You can find more about Ina Coolbrith on the internet.

No comments: